Thursday, May 3, 2012

hot yoga

via 

My friend convinced me to try Bikram Yoga (a series of 26 poses in a room where the temperature is set to 102 degrees) a couple of years ago. I was hooked instantly! That feeling of all that stress holding onto you just flying away and sweating with no abandon was a combination I wanted all the time. I stuck with it for a while, but ended up getting away from it because of scheduling and daily responsibilities. However, I'M BACK!

The first class I went to, after my long hiatus, was tough. I thought since I had done it before that my body would remember the practice and I could slide back into it...boy, was I wrong. You have to retrain your body again to be in that suffocatingly hot environment, for 90 minutes, flowing from one pose to another. Let's just say I sat a few poses out, but I did finish the class. The second, third, fourth, and fifth classes just got better and better for me, and I was truly feeling like I was doing something good in that classroom.

By the time I got to my sixth class, I was prancin' in and struttin' my before class stretching techniques. However, 30 minutes in, I thought I was going to die (dramatic, I know)! I felt like I was about to pass out so I left the classroom and collected myself. I then returned and caught up with the class, but 15 minutes later, I knew I was going to throw up and left the room again (the shame...so embarrassing). 

I felt really bad about disturbing the class by leaving the room a second time, but 10 minutes and 15 minutes and 20 minutes later others (male and female) were filing out of the room before the class was over. I felt bad for all those exhausted, sweaty people, but did find some comfort in their presence outside of the room as well. 

The teacher came out to check on us. She said that because of the humidity outside, the temperature of the room was so much hotter than usual and almost unbearable - she even turned the fans on which never happens. After hearing this and knowing Charlotte summers, you would think I wouldn't be stepping back in there until Fall, but I'm going back for sure. Hopefully, just as I got used to the heat and constant movement over a 90 minute period before, I will become accustomed to this higher level of heat as well. 

**BTW, I got the husband hooked as well. It's been so much fun to go through it all together!**



2 comments:

  1. I am so interested in going, but I hope I don't throw up! Can you give me some pointers on things to bring, ways to prepare and any other tips.. I'd love to hear them. I am thinking of doing the unlimited trial they offer at my local location.
    I love your blog. Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ashley! You should definitely try it out! It's tough the first time and you wonder when it will ever end, but I think the two most important things to remember are:
    1. Drink LOTS of water the day of and no caffeine. This will help your body adapt to heat better and get you ready to sweat ;)
    2. Take it Easy! Don't waste all of your energy in the first part of the class (the standing up part). It's so easy to try so hard to get the poses just right that you end up tiring out 20 minutes in. Just be patient with yourself and your body and don't be afraid to rest in between.

    Good Luck! I'd love to hear about your experience!

    ReplyDelete